So the weirdest thing happened this week. I'll spare you all the details, actually maybe I should just spare you the whole story, but I think it's fascinating and it's MY blog, so just deal with it. Anyway, as some of you may already know, I have been sick for the past 2 1/2 years straight - every single day. My mom always told me it must be because of stress, but I just blew her off because I am too stubborn and proud to think that ANYTHING is too stressful for me - even though most of you understand the depth of my crisis in the last few years. Everyone always complimented me on how well I deal with everything (a lot of which I brought on myself), but nonetheless I didn't want to ever show that I was weak.
I still don't like to admit that I'm weak, but in a way I was forced to recently. A few weeks ago, my chiropractor-in-training insisted that diet must be at the root of my sickness, so he told me only eat plants and animals that eat plants. (Yeah - that's right, no bread, no dairy, no alcohol, no sugar!!) I managed a week and the sickness was still there - however, I was very hungry all the time and grumpy without sugar (who knew I was so dependent!)
The thought of losing chocolate, Mt. Dew, and ice cream forever scared me straight, so I figured I needed to hurry and get to the bottom of why I'm so sick, so I broke down and went to the counselor. We talked a lot about my family stuff and boyfriend stuff and I bawled my eyes out the whole time, but it was really good to get it all out there for a change. I even cried on Robb all night because I couldn't stop thinking about stuff.
I have just really felt so happy since then. A huge part is because things with Robb and I are going so well. It's so nice that I have him to talk to and he's always there for me - even when I've been so ugly to him in the past. He's so sweet and he hurts when I hurt. I've never seen that kind of love before - it's amazing!
I gave up completely on the plant diet thing too. Actually I ate more UN-healthy this week than I probably have any other week in my whole entire life. HOWEVER, I'M HEALTHY! My sickness went away completely! It's fabulous!
So, I've ruled out the diet mattering - unless my body is strangely allergic to veggies. But why else would I get better? I'd like to think that I got sick because it was my body's way of telling me who I shouldn't be with *cough*Alan*cough* and that now that I'm with Robb and happy and appreciated and treated SO well and SO loved that my body is affirming that choice.
Am I being a silly delusional girl, or do I have a valid theory here? Let me know what you think!
Sunday, November 06, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
hmmm...I think your theory is a little crazy, but I do think stress does have a lot to do with how your body feels, and now that you are happy, you feel healthier. And going to a counselor is a good idea I think in order for you to stay happy & healthy. So whatever the reason for your sickness being gone, I am happy for you!
Your theory makes sense. Stress can play a vital role in your health. In fact (not that this applies to your situation) stress can cause miscarriage during pregnancy. Therefore, it makes a lot of sense that no stress = health. I am proud of you for taking care of yourself more! I hope you stay healthy!
Since I pretend to be the nutrition expert in the group, I do have to say that the diet you were encouraged to try sounded like a load of crap to me, but I'm glad you tried it so you know that that's not the problem. Also, I am currently in the process of developing a patient education handout on IBS and one of the things that is stated over and over again in my research is that to get control of IBS or other similar disorders, it is important to get control of stress. Stress can actually change the rate of digestion, which can obviously lead to problems. It's amazing the power stress can have on your body. So congrats on eliminating stress, at least temporarily. Make sure you keep it up and I hope you continue to feel better! Ok I'm done with my nutrition lecture, I appologize it's just an overflow of my profession!
abby - that's awesome - thanks! In your experiences do you think all the "organic" foods are worth the hype? Do you get into that much?
Momma knows best.
No scientific evidence shows organic foods to be healthier or safer than conventionally grown.
Also, both organic and conventional farming supply nutritionally comparable foods. So, in my opinion, they're not worth the money. But that's just me! Washing and peeling (if possible) fruits and vegetables should do the trick.
Post a Comment