Sunday, November 27, 2005

Thanksgiving

Whew! Now that I got that heaviness off my chest I'll tell you about thanksgiving! I rode home with my cousin Tony. I figured I could live 5 days with no car and there was no sense in both of us driving 6 1/2 hours alone to arrive at basically the same destination. It was great, even in spite of his love for sports talk AM radio! I got home on Wednesday night just in time to help finish preparations for the big day. On Thursday my mom's whole family came over and it was really great. Even though I wouldn't choose to have a Cajun Thanksgiving, it went as well as one can expect even without the traditional comfort foods. Kate and Randy brought Max (he's 3 months old now), so I got to spend time with him and that was nice. I'm an official aunt now because he chose ME to puke all over. So much for wearing the new clothes for the occation.

Friday my Dad and I had our Thanksgiving at his place. We were supposed to go to Kate and Randy's to see Max, but apparently Max will not ever get to see his grandfather again because some people do not understand the value of forgiveness and love. Sometimes I feel like I'm stuck in the middle of my family's arguments, but I'm being delusional and it's really not like that. However, when I was sent as the bearer of this news I knew it wasn't my delusions - I really am forced to be there in the middle of the fire-fight. Thank God for God. Enough said.

So anyway, Dad and I actually had a wonderful day! We made a list, checked it twice and headed for the grocery store. We tried to avoid Wal-Mart for fear of the crazies that come for the Day-after-Thanksgiving sales, but when Krogers sold out of ginger and thawed turkey what is a girl supposed to do?! We ended up cooking all afternoon - turkey, corn, mashed potatoes, baked beans, wedding noodles, and pumpkin pie - it was quite a feast! And it actually tasted really freakin' fabulous if I must say so myself! We rock!

The rest of the weekend I laid around with my family mostly. We saw 4 deer swimming in the lake (Woah! I didn't know they could swim!). And we watched "Rent" the movie. I loved the stage play, but as a movie, I thought it was stinky. I can't fully relate to characters when they insist on bursting into song during conversations, they always face one direction, and they put their arms around each other all the time for no reason. On stage I see it coming and it's ok, but I'm not a big fan of musical movies I guess. Don't take my word for it though - everyone else I know has loved it.

Today I went to church with Mom and then Tony brought me back to school. I'll be back in Ohio in 2 1/2 weeks!! Woohoo! AND I bought a plane ticket to Oregon for New Years! Yeah!! What more could a girl ask for?

8 comments:

Laura said...

I'm glad you got to spend time with all of your family over the break! Also, should I even ask how much you paid for that plane ticket to Oregon? Bob's brother, Jeff, is considering not coming home for Christmas because of the cost. But, in your case, you have to see Robb sometime, and what other way would be better to start off the new year?

Maria said...

I'm glad to hear you had a nice Thanksgiving besides being in the middle of your family's arguments. I think it's great you got to spend quality time with both of your parents.

Maria said...

and this whole "your comment has been saved and will be visible after blog owner approval" is a little weird!

Chadd said...

Try asking for cheesecake; I'm always happier when I do.

Suzanna said...

Yeah, I haven't seen Rent yet since I've seen the musical so many times...my sister said it was amazing, but I'm still not sold on it yet. Excited to come to the great Northwest?? :)!!

Laura said...

Will this comment post?

abby said...

The plane tickets were pricey. When Robb flew in Oct. it was $220, but the Christmas flights are mostly in the $400-500 range! We found ours for $320 though.

abby said...

So excited for the Northwest!!! I love it! P.S. I've decided to work in a practice there after I graduate.