I was recently faced with this question at a chiropractic seminar I went to and was shocked to find that I was the only one NOT raising my hand in agreement. At the time I was so shocked all I could muster up in response to "why?" was "because it makes people greedy." I've beaten myself up a bit for my inability to speak God's truth in this situation, but as I blog author I have another chance to voice my opinion to the masses and YOU, my lovely readers get to hear what I SHOULD have said. I actually e-mailed a version of this to the well respected, "successful" Dr. who led the seminar too. I'll also post a link to a monologue from "Atlas Shrugged" written by Ayn Rand which sums up his philosophy about money - you might want to read that first so that what I say makes more sense. Here goes: (slightly edited for the audience)
If I were given the opportunity again to respond to "Do you love money?" I would still refuse to raise my hand. I assure you, I am no moocher or looter, nor do I intend to obtain money dishonorably. While I respect the opinions presented by Rand, I do not see the world as she does. If this life was finite, her arguments regarding money would be precisely the argument I would hope to make with all of my being. However, with respect to God - the almighty power that made the body and the power I will rely upon daily in my practice to allow the body to heal itself again, I see money differently. Blame my "mother/father/teacher/preacher" for this one, but my world view is not finite. I try my best to see the world through the eyes of God, eyes of love, eyes of compassion. Sure, if I practice my art to the best of my abilities and succeed in helping people toward wellness I DESERVE MONEY in return for my efforts. However, I know that if all humans got what they deserved in life I would be looking forward to an eternity in the pit of hell. THANK GOD I DON'T ALWAYS GET WHAT I DESERVE!
Of course I agree that money is necessary for civilized society to relate the trading of goods and services. I shop, I consume, I spend and earn money too. I enjoy seeing those extra digits in my paycheck after a long weekend of overtime. However money is not my absolute. I have met lazy rich people who spend frivolously and I have met hard-working poor who pour out their lives into their work and still can't feed their family. As the rich get richer and the poor get poorer, I fear that the time of the glory days of the American Industrialist and the American Dream are slipping away from us. As Rand states..."watch money...it is the barometer of society's virtue". Sadly, I have seen corruption rewarded and honesty becoming self-sacrifice. I have seen force be used by "decent" men, rather than money as a means to get what you want. Though it pains me to see, I suppose it too is what we deserve living in this fallen world in need of redemption.
I cannot say that I LOVE money. To "love" something/someone is to be passionate, to seek it always above other pursuits, to enjoy it fully, to make it my heart's desire. I have only one true love - Jesus Christ. He is my heart's desire and I will not let anyone or anything detract my pursuit of his perfection. Jesus himself stated “No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money.” (Matthew 6:24)
The question posed “Do you love money?” took me by surprise. The response from my peers in agreement shocked me more. It is very sad to me that people’s loyalty seems to be more to the paper currency they expect in return for their efforts, rather than to the God of the Universe, our Maker, our Sustainer, our Redeemer, our Healer who gave us the gifts, talents, and abilities to perform these tasks in the first place. My words were less than adequate at the time to describe my opposition, but my intentions were true. “Whoever loves money never has money enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with his income. This too is meaningless.” (Ecclesiastes 5:10) Maybe having money won’t dictate our desires, but our selfish will is difficult to contend with without the guidance of God’s grace.
Someday God will hold us responsible for our actions. If we can stand before Him and say that in fact we did use our gifts, talents, abilities, and money to serve His kingdom and His people to the best of our abilities, then Hallelujah!! If we strive to treat every person around us as Christ, we will know we are blessed. For me that means feed the hungry, give drink to those who thirst, welcome in strangers, visit those in prison, and care for the sick. This is not something I strive to do on holidays or in my free time. This is my life’s ambition. Call me crazy, but I will work my hardest, I will use my education and talents to help to heal as many people as I can AND I WILL WORK FOR FREE IF I HAVE TO for the sake of God’s Kingdom and for the wellbeing of those in need. As a Tri 1 I know I don’t have all the answers. I don’t know where I will draw the line between earning money and giving it away later as I feel I am led, or working in a free clinic to directly give back to my patients like Patch Adams. I want to do missions work too. I don’t know if that means I’ll have to charge hard-working Americans full price for adjustments so that I can save enough to travel around the world living my dream. I realize that this is probably the LEAST “profitable” business venture ever, but I know I will receive my reward in due time. I don’t have all the answers. I just am beginning to see my chiropractic philosophy come into being. Thank you for encouraging each of us to seek it out. I cannot expect those outside Christ’s Church to act as I act, or to believe what I believe, but for those within the church I see no other way. It is in giving that we receive. There is no eternal reward for saving money.
Thank you for taking the time to listen to my opinion.
-Abby Monnin
“It is a poverty to decide that a child must die so that you may live as you wish.”
Mother Teresa
Sunday, November 27, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
"Thank you for taking the time to listen to my opinion."
Actually, I read it in silence so the only listening that took place was to the sound of wind chimes. Great post though! I enjoy the theorem of the Abbinator.
Very interesting comments Abby. And I love the quote from Mother Teresa!
Very interesting comments Abby. And I love the quote from Mother Teresa!
Wow, the love of money...I am not suprised you were the only one without your hand raised. Isn't it sad how money hungry our world is? I can't say I'm perfect, of course I enjoy shopping and things for myself, but too many people do truly LOVE money, more than other human beings that need it more than they do. Derek and I's biggest dilemma is WHO to give money to. Now that Derek is associated with the church and we live next door, we have many people approach us for money. Each has an elaborate "story" about the money they "need." And I know some of them truly do need money and we do not mind giving. However, being associated with a church, we know that we will be taken advantage of. We've just decided to err on the side of giving to those who don't need it rather than not give to someone in need. Congratulations for sticking up for what you believe in, far too many of us are too timid about important issues.
I have been thinking about money lately, considering I don't make much of it, and I completely agree that I don't love money and you can't love both God and money. Nice rant. I think people would be happier without money.
what, my comment has to be approved by you??
Why can't I put a comment???
Abby - I never thought about that side of charity. Wow - I really admire you two. Any suggestions on how to deal with that? I bet Reba might have an opinion on that too.
P. S. In case you were wondering, "Pilk" is the youth minister at my new church.
Post a Comment