Saturday, June 17, 2006

Paintball


(not actually me, my blog is just getting boring with no pics)
So today I went paintballing with my youth ministry. I didn't want to go. For the last couple weeks I was having this huge moral dilemma about how a Christian shouldn't find joy or entertainment in faking war and inflicting pain in other people. In addition I find it hard to rationalize spending THAT much money on a few hours of "fun" when there are people who can't afford food in the world. And lastly, Robb and I have been trying REALLY hard lately to be understanding of each other's faith/church background and come to some compromises in the hope of figuring out the technicalities behind our potential "mixed marriage". I thought if I didn't go paintballing I would be making a stand for pacifism and the true spirit of Jesus, etc. and I didn't want to have any part of it.

HOWEVER...the night before our youth minister called and asked if I would drive because they didn't have enough adults going. I said I would go, but I still wasn't sure if I'd play. He insisted he was going to shoot me anyway though! I called Robb and asked him what Mennonites thought about paintballing and he thought that was the dumbest question EVER! Here I was trying to make a stand for the sake of our relationship and Jesus in general and he laughed and told me to "Go kick some ass!" (The youth Minister won't let me live down the fact that I asked permission first.)

So I went and I played and I had a great time. I'm covered with welts (11 in fact) and I can't move my pinky because it is swollen. I padded my bra for protection before I went though, so the girls are OK. (I know you were all worried) I still think I am morally opposed to the idea of paintballing, but it was fun. I don't like guns. I was pretty good though. I got shot more than the other 3 girls, so I don't know if that is good or bad, but I was on the front lines going for the glory. I guess the lesson of the day is:
Nothing says "Jesus loves you!" like a paintball from close range!

4 comments:

Maria said...

LOL - I love that you had a moral dilemma over paintball. I definitely can see your arguments though - and I have never liked the idea of paintball so I have never done it - don't those things hurt?? No thanks.

abby said...

Yes they do hurt!!! I have some pretty nasty marks all over me!

Abby said...

I also find your moral dilemma funny, especially since you worried and worried and then Robb told you to go for it without second thought :) I for one have never been paintballing, not because of a moral reason, but because I don't like pain :)

Laura said...

I've avoided the pain of paintballing, and I must say that I've never thought of it as a moral dilemma. But, it makes sense.