Saturday, January 07, 2006

Home from Oregon

I just got home today from my wonderful visit to the great Beaver State and I miss Robb already! I know it's a bit pathetic, but I love the kid and I can't help it!!

I flew into Portland on Dec. 30th and Robb met me at the gate. Due to my unexpected layover in Minneapolis where they insisted on melting the ice off the wings before we left, I was an hour late in arriving. Robb was a little glazed over by the time I finally came through the gate, but who can blame him after standing there for 45 minutes and seeing hundreds and hundreds of people walk past.
...I'll spare you all the details of the week, but we did get to go to a lot of fun places and I met a ton more of his family. Overall the week was WONDERFUL!! (even though he had to work a lot). Besides the obvious highlight of the trip (getting to actually date my boyfriend!), I hung out with his family (as far as I can tell everyone I've met likes me - which is a huge bonus), drove a tractor, saw Mt. Hood and Mt. St. Helens (which are both SO awesome), went to a dinner/movie theater, and my favorite = Silver Falls! It's this State Park with like 8 waterfalls. We only went to see one, but it was so cool! It was this huge (about 200ft) waterfall, and the best part was that you could follow the trail that went down and around the back of the falls up against the cliff. We ran around like crazy people in the mist and it was AMAZING!

We got to go to church together again, which is always enjoyable. His church is great. It's this HUGE Alliance church - really welcoming and mission focused. Then he got another enjoyable look at Catholic life. lol. I don't think I could make these experiences go more badly if i tried! It's like divine intervention in reverse! Mass isn't supposed to be scary or long, so why do I always pick the best ones?! Let's just sum up the whole experience with this general rule "Protestants and the rosary don't mix." We should keep it as our little secret and make it a members only club. I don't know what else to say. And the Chaplet of Divine Mercy...don't get me started...!!!! Don't get me wrong - I love the Catholic Church and I love its mystery and tradition. I get so much out of it and I know that if people just understood why we do what we do they would all think it is cool too. But until then, I don't know what to do. I guess we just need to move one baby step at a time. Catholic 101 ...apparently we'll save the rosary for the master's program.

Even though we don't know when we'll see eachother again, we already have a to do list. I can't wait!

4 comments:

Abby said...

I'm glad to hear you had such a great time! Oregon sounds cool, I've never been there!! Also, did you get my email? I was just wondering about that theatre thing. Do you still want me to come to SL?

Maria said...

It's good to hear from you again. I'm glad you had a great time in Oregon. Tell Robb I say hello and that he should move to St. Louis. Ready for school to start again?

Laura said...

I'm so glad you had such a good time. I know what you mean when trying to mix Protestants into Catholic stuff. In high school, the ONE time I brought a friend to CCD class, we walked over to the church and had confession with the priest! Why is it that those things only happen when a non-Catholic is visiting??? Anyway, Robb is fantastic. I'm very happy to hear about your happiness with him.

Laura said...

By the way, Bridget has a blog. Her link is on my blog.