Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Gifted in different ways...

Sorry it's been so long since my last official blogging. I've been pretty busy first with Christmas traveling and then with school starting up again. I'm now in my 2nd trimester (one behind Laura - lol). This term is our hardest of all 10. I'm taking 28 credit hours, and not just that, but there are no blow off credits like undergrad. I'm taking Biochemistry II, Microbiology, Gross Anatomy II, Professional Development, Neuroanatomy, Physiology, and Diversified (an adjusting technique class). I've been studying my butt off recently and I'm still sure I'm getting behind. (And not just the 12-4am studying like before - the real 7:20am-9:00pm, all at school, don't see daylight kind of studying!!) I made Dean's list last Tri though, so that's the goal again. I know it's not just about getting good grades, but I really need to know this stuff if I'm going to be a good Dr.
Aside from that I've been having a great time getting more involved with the youth group at my new church. I'm an official CORE team member at Holy Infant Catholic Church now and I love it. The youth are great (all high school), and the other members of the CORE team are so great too! They have really been an encouragement to my faith and they are just plain fun too. (Ex. We have a habit of going to BW3's for beer and wings every Tuesday after youth group). the youth group has 3 regularly scheduled activities each week and they like to throw other events in as well like retreats and meetings and social and service events. I'm glad I'm not used to having free time or going on real dates.
That reminds me...Robb is wonderful! (No new reason really - just wanted to remind you all) We've decided that we will both be staying where we are for the next three years and then I'll move out there afterwards. (For a while we were talking about either him moving or me tranferring so that we could be together). Even though it is difficult we really think it will be good for us. It gives us time to grow as individuals and as a couple without the physical temptation issues. Also, it would be nice if he saved that couple thousand it would take to move and then we could both pay off those student loans faster (our combined total is enough to make you want to cry...or sell your kidneys on the black market).
But I digress... so as the title of my blog states, we are all given different gifts from God. I learned this in a new way this week. I found that I am REALLY GOOD at operating a bone saw, a chisel and a hammer. I discovered this last week in lab during our "brain-ectomy". Also, it helps that I actually enjoy these activities and I thought it was FREAKIN' AWESOME to hold a brain in my hands!!!! (Some of you may have different opinions about this and that is fine too). However, when it came to last night and I was attempting to peel carrots with my new handy-dandy peeler I became seriously retarded. It seemed like it should be an easy task, but after 20 minutes (20 WHOLE MINUTES!!) of trying all I had was a chewed up scratched carrot and a load of frustration. (Apparently the key is in how you angle the peeler. Angle AWAY folks - not towards you - angle AWAY!) See - we can't all be gifted in everything. God knows I suck at peeling carrots and He also knows you may have no interest in operating chisels on skulls. We are all special in our own ways!! Amen! (Sorry so long)

5 comments:

Abby said...

Abby,
I'm guessing I'm the only other one that would get any enjoyment from a brain in my hand. (I've never experienced it, but I think it would be great!)
Also, I'm so glad you and Robb are happy. It's so exciting when relationships work out and you find complete contentment. (Especially after a lot of searching, believe me I know...)

Abby said...

Also, I was wondering from your comment on my blog...do you need nutrition counseling? I'd be glad to help in any way I can! (I need the practice LOL)

Laura said...

So, yeah. We are definately very different in our gifts. I could never hold a brain in my hands. Yet, I am so glad that you can, because the world needs a lot of good doctoring type people like you. (Did that really make sense?) Anyway, I don't know how you are surviving 28 credit hours, but good luck! I am so proud of your hard work. Also, I'm glad that you and Robb feel at peace about such a difficult decision that you had to make. I am happy for you both!

Maria said...

I loved your story at the end! I would never want to hold a brain in my hand and I suck at peeling carrots, so what's my gift??

And it makes me to happy to hear that you and Robb are happy! Good luck with the long distance thing!

abby said...

Maria - you are hilarious! umm...you are good with kids - especially disturbed rediculous ones. I'd call that a gift!! lol