Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Crutches and a cast!

I had a really long version of this story, but then it spontaneously disappeared, so this is the shorter version...

On Saturday my rommate and I went sledding on inner tubes and had a great time, so Sunday I insisted that Robb join me. We had an awesome snowstorm this weekend, and we went to 3 different stores to find sleds, but settled on inner tubes, because sleds were all sold out.

I went down this awesome hill with trees on both sides, a bump at the bottom and a tree line soon after. It was so fun that I insisted that Robb try it too. He agreed and said he'd follow me down. I hit the bump, was thrown from the sled and rolled about 10 feet before hearing him yelling and coming down right after me. I tried to get up and run, but he was coming down too fast and backwards, and before I knew it, his legs clipped mine and I was in a heap on the ground. We hobbled home and had my roommate look at it. robb and I went to 5 different Walgreens before finding crutches for a 5'7" person.

Monday I went to school and my not-so-gentle professor/chiropractor assessed the damages. He also did a very painful procedure to repostion my meniscus. I ended up with a grade 2 sprain of my MCL, a torn meniscus, and a strained hamstring. A whole group of my classmates gathered around to soak up the learning experience and they all helped cast my leg from thigh to calf. Then another classmate cut it off with a bone saw in two places. This is so that i can slide my leg out for showers and daily physical therapy. I'll definitly be on crutches for a week, and hopefully after that I'll be able to hobble to Oregon for Christmas with the Heppners.

Robb feels terrible, but I guess it's best that way, so that I don't feel guilty for asking him to bring me stuff every 10 minutes. this isn't exactly how I pictured my Christmas break, but it is definitly one I won't forget!!

5 comments:

Rebekah said...

I'm confused, did you have the sprain and the tear before or after your professor looked it? It's nice that you can get free work done at school!

Maria said...

wow, what a story! I am sure Robb feels bad!! I hope you have a fast recovery.

abby said...

All the injuries occured BEFORE seeing the Doctor. What kind of clinic do you think we run???!!!

Anonymous said...

Sledding is very dangerous, as a kid, my brother ended up with stitches because he sledded down towards me where I was holding my sled...ooops :)

Laura said...

So that's why I never went sledding on Marbeck trays :)
I hope you feel better soon!